Review: Etude House Play 101 Pencil

01:51

After spending a whole week of Raya holiday back in my hometown, I am now back on the grid and come back with another review. Today I am gonna review the Etude House Play 101 Pencil. Without further-ado, let's start.



Etude House Play 101 Pencil has been launched for quite some time (actually is quite some years) and it became really famous because of the collaboration with Pony. They came out with a few tutorial videos in youtube and Pony was able to achieve different makeup looks with these Play 101 Pencil. 

These Play 101 Pencil comes in a wide range of textures and colors. It has creamy, glitter, shimmering, matte and glossy. The color selection has now reached to 70+ colors and it is still increasing from time to time.  These Play 101 Pencils are very handy as they can be use as eyeshadow, lip liner, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, concealer, shading or just anything that you can think of (basically it is up to your own creativity).

It costs around RM46-RM53 (which I think is very pricey) but sometimes when Etude House is on sale, it can cost around RM20. I had take that advantage and purchased 6 colors when it was on sale (it was long long ago). 


The colors I purchased was #5,#40,#42,#52,#53 and #54. 


It looks like a pencil (well,duh... the name is Play 101 Pencil already). You can shove it in your pencil case and no one will realize that it is actually a makeup item. Opening the cap, there is the product with a twist open design. By the end of the pencil, there is a sharpener that you can use to sharpen the tip of the product so that it is easier to draw for thin line. 

However, I am not very happy with the design. Due to the twist open design, the unused product has exposed to the air and it gets dry up very fast. Yes, I know that some other twist open pencil liner might not have such issue such as BBIA Auto Eyeliner which I enjoy very much, but because the formula of Play 101 Pencil itself is very easy to dry up, the twist open design just make it worse. 

Also, the product gets to fall off from the body easily which is very annoying. The product dries up even more quickly. 

To the swatches:


#5 Glittery champagne color. The color itself is very suitable for aegyosal but it got dry up so fast that I need to put so much effort and force to have the color payoff. Putting much effort and force trigger irritation towards the skin, especially the eye area.

#40 Glittery brown with hint of gold color. Unlike #5 that dried up, #40 remain soft and easy to apply. It can be used as an eyeshadow or an eyeliner. I specifically like to use it as under-eye eyeliner. 

#42 Matt greyish brown. This is suitable for eyebrow if you wanted a less pigmented eyebrow color. Due to my black hair, I didnt use it as eyebrow but nose shading and I like the color payoff very much for nose shading. This pencil also remain soft and smooth up until now. 

#52 Shimmering pink. I was planning to use it as eyeshadow, but same as #5, it dries up easily and it hurts my eyes whenever I try to apply it on the eyelid. 

#53 Shimmering rosegold. Same as #52, harden and hurt. 

#54 Creamy coral. This is very suitable for lip liner as it stayed on the lip for a very long time. It can be used as a blush as well but it was too pigmented for my preferences. While I have oily eyelid, creamy eyeshadow will easily slide off and get smudgy. 

Overall, this innovation is quite good because these pencils are easy to carry around and they are multi-functional. But with these 6 pencils that I have got, I ended hating half of them and liking another half. I think it is very important to try them on hand before purchasing. However, Malaysia stores usually carry very less color and some of the testers have been used up. 

Repurchase? Nope. Although it has a very wide range of colors and texture but I think it is too expensive for a pencil. I would rather choose over BBIA auto pencil as it is more cost effective and good quality. 

Cheers <3





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow me on Instagram